This series, the Historical Backbone of the Bible, is also known as God's Story.
We are discovering that we do not live God's 'Story' because we do not know God's 'Story'. Studies demonstrate that spiritual maturity is directly linked to Bible literacy.
This project is designed for a group of people to grasp the historical narrative of the Bible in a relatively brief period. Begin by downloading the resource "Introducing the Historical Backbone of the Bible."
Is it practical, and does it work? Here's one testimonial:
"As a pastor of a small church, I was eager to find a discipleship curriculum that could really get my congregation into the Word. I wanted something that could be shared by all the small groups, and integrated with Sunday messages. The Historical Backbone of the Bible worked great! While some programs focus on slow, reflective reading of Scripture, this offers a counterbalance - providing a big-picture perspective of the entire Biblical narrative. As the group covered large chunks of the Scripture together, they engaged in lively conversation and gained a solid foundation for further study. The HBB also serves as great preparation for J.B. MacDonald's "Matthew Paradigm" discipleship program, which provides a pathway for participants to enter the story as followers of Jesus!" (Tim Stewart, Pastor of Parkdale Evangelical Free Church, Victoria, BC)
Take 5 minutes to listen to a good introduction to the Bible by Matt Whitman. Just click on the YouTube clip – then come back and let's get started.
Here are the links to the posts that complement the reading of the designated portions of the Bible:
- Living God's 'Story' – two problems and a solution
- Five Basic Steps for Learning God's 'Story'
- Grasping God's 'Story'
- Five Questions for Reading Impact
- A 10 Minute Tour of Genesis
- 40 Years (or more) in 10 Minutes (or less)
- 10 Minutes with Joshua and the Judges
- 10 Minutes with Samuel, Saul, and David
- Solomon to Exile in 10 Minutes
- 10 Minutes with Ezra and Nehemiah
- 400 Years of Turmoil in 10 Minutes
- 10 Minutes for the Greatest Story Ever Told
- Jerusalem to the Ends of the Earth in 10 Minutes
- 10 Minutes in Revelation
- 5 Benefits of Bible Literacy
- Fleshing Out the Backbone of the Bible